Monday, November 24, 2008

a practice for affection...


Just came back from the new parish where my brother who is a priest is assigned for the next few years. Last night I was still in doubt if I was going to join in the send-off or not as I’m supposed to hold a meeting at the office today. When I called him last night I tried hinting th
at we might not be able to make it but he just seemed eager that we can join in the caravan of the parishioners. This was the first time that he asked us to come along as this will also be his first assignment as a parish priest so it was a bit hard to turn him down.

I’m not used to this kind of thing when I was young, I grew up not minding of being sent off to go to a new place or not. The airport used to be very near our house and we can easily get a cab to and from there. I usually travel with a group so I can easily hitch a ride to go anywhere. It's definitely not a 'liturgical act' to be done when a priest transfers to his next parish assignment and for the community to be obliged to do such practice as a way of saying 'goobye' or something. My point is - what's the big deal with this send-off!?!

It’s a first for us and it’s a good thing also that my father decided to come along. I know that my mother even if she was sick, she wouldn’t miss it for the world. She's kinda proud to have a priest-son, probably thinking him to be the redeemer of her other children. Well, it's not all the time that a mother really knows best - it can be the other way around... Anyway, we went, my father, my other siblings, my niece and I for the send-off along with several other parishioners from where my brother just came from. I was told that there were 17 vehicles when they left and 3 more vehicles joined in the caravan along the way.

The initial stop was at t
he main parish of the town proper where my brother’s former parish priest will be assigned. After lunch we took off to his new parish about 8 kilometers away. Actually, we took off earlier than the group because we wanted to see the place first. And wow(!), a very serene surrounding in the midst of farm lands. The fresh air and the cool breeze can easily put you to sleep. It’s such a beautiful country place that is so far from the city’s madness. The cellphone signal is difficult to locate, no phone lines and that means no access to the internet. So with that I can’t say I would want to live there forever but it’s really a nice rural getaway and very quiet.

We rested there for about half an hour before the rest of the group turned up. Once again there was a short welcome program at the church followed with a fellowship snack for everyone. It was fun to watch the gathering and I’m sure that my brother will be forever grateful for the time these people spared to do this for him. On the other hand, I thought maybe these people have had enough of him already and they probably just wanted to make sure that he is settled in the parish so he can never go back to theirs. Hmmm… makes more sense…
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Kidding aside, I think it’s just what it really is – the send-off is a practice that we do because we want to make sure that the person will be in a good place, in good hands of a new set of people who will take care of him, and probably in the best spirit knowing that those he left behind have sent their love with him in this new place he will again call ‘home’. Short of saying “you’ll be okay here… you will be alright”.

My brother looked happy when we were about to leave. I believe he was glad that we were just there during that moment. As for me, the moment was to understand a gesture that is important to people that I missed out feeling and doing. A lesson that it is important to be mindful of such practices because we may be passing on the act of doing it to the next generation but to those we are doing it for, we pass on a significant expression of affection that may just be a great source of encouragement when they embark on to a new journey.

It's too mushy for me than it is a big deal but evidently it was a huge thing for my brother...

No comments: