Friday, November 21, 2008

a day not so usual...


I want to leave a post here every day but nothing remarkable to share comes to mind...

Sitting in front of the laptop before my bath this morning, I thought I'd share about the movie I watched with a friend yesterday. It was dull and my story about 'a beautiful man' seemed more fascinating than its plot. But let me just say the movie house we went to was newly renovated; the seats more comfortable, better sounds and the lighting during the break was just right for the eye. Actually, we just wanted to checkout the place.

Arriving at the office, I was greeted with a stack of papers to read, sign and work on. So I just quickly browsed through our emails then moved on to the paper works. By mid morning, I've already talked to a few personnel having problems completing their evaluation sheets due to the work reshuffling the past months. It wasn't my call to do those and dealing with it is just a pain...

By half past ten I was done and that included writing a couple of letters to clients. After leaving the letters to my boss' secretary I decided to visit the boss in the hospital. I went with 5 other co-workers who tagged along. There was no visitor when we got there but his sister and an aid was with him. He told us about the tests he went through the past days and said that there was no serious diagnosis and he's feeling better. In fact, he was at that time waiting for the release order for him to leave the hospital anytime.

He offered us a mocha cake covered with thick yummy icing for snacks. The others were starting to dig in while I was updating the boss with office matters when a visitor came in. Great timing! So I offered him a seat and excused myself to join the feast. We were at the table just beside them enjoying our treat and I just can't help listening to their conversation intently. They didn't mind us prying of course as we were in a hospital room - it was a small place.

I learned that the visitor is a lawyer and he was released from prison a few months ago. I think he was tried for a murder case years ago and apparently it was a big news back then but I don't remember, I was probably still in school when it happened. He talked about his life in prison and how very glad he is now that he's out starting anew and moving on.

He pointed out that only 4 lawyers in the country have been jailed where he came from. He got to know prominent people whose cases made the news and even got into a fight with the most arrogant one of them. He said that it takes more than just being tough on the outside to get by as you need to be tougher within. His children were very young when he left them and now they've already graduated. A great deal of help from his family and friends kept him sane through the years.

He is now back to practicing law and is in fact handling a certain case for my boss. You know, I think he's a brilliant lawyer and I think he will be more than that considering that he's been through a lot - probably more passionate and compassionate. We didn't get to stay long for the rest of his story that could have been more interesting.

Back at the office, I did a lot of reading and checking of reports in the afternoon. It's a Friday so I'm more relaxed. An hour before I was off, a friend from another office came to consult me about plans for her daughter's wedding.

You see, I do events planning on the side when I'm not busy to take on another workload. It's a lot of fun and I just love doing it but since I'm also asked to help planning some office events lately, I haven't accepted any offer after an August event. I can't afford to go nuts more than I already am so I'm particular about knowing who my clients are though they're mostly referrals of friends who knows how I work. I'm also involved with the liturgical commission in our archdiocese that I'm often consulted about liturgical stuff thinking that I know a lot - actually, I just happen to know the right people to ask.

Okay, maybe this wasn't something remarkable - but this definitely wasn't my usual day...

No comments: