Sunday, March 15, 2009

accidents happen


I was at a department store to shop for some stuff today and I accidentally hit a glass shelf.


I was slowly moving backward to give way to another shopper passing in this narrow place and I hit this shelf and the thick glass on it slid off. I think it was the 3rd or 4th level of the shelf but fortunately, the glass was so thick that it didn't break into pieces. Naturally though, I got everyone's attention in the vicinity but surprisingly, I didn't felt frightened, scared nor angry. It was just like a, "ay, nahulog-feeling".

I thought it was so unlike me as I usually get frantic or I panic when something like this happens. Maybe I just felt so sure that I wasn't at fault. When I later checked it, the glass wasn't securely attached to the slatwall shelf bracket,it wasn't even touching the bottom of the glass in one end. I could easily move the bracket side to side and anybody who will hit the glass even with a slight nudge can easily let it slide off.

Anyway, I helped the saleslady picked up the cosmetic products that fell - good that it wasn't the expensive kind but the hard plastic caps and wrappings were cracked and some had broken pieces and were basically damaged. As I was helping clean up, I overheard one of the workers there saying that they will charge me with the damaged items. Hmmmm... I just smiled and took out my cell phone and called my brother who was a lawyer.

I don't know, when you think you're about to get into trouble who do you call?!

I wanted to ask for his advise on what to do.
I can't reach him at that time so I just left him a message and called another friend who works in the office of the same department store but assigned in another branch. I related to her what happened and asked if they have the right to charge me with the damaged products as I thought it was just wrong that the shelf wasn't securely attached to where it was placed on. She advised me not to pay and told me they can't compel me to do so and if they do, she told me to talk to the manager.

The saleslady later asked me if I can pay for the items so I asked her that I needed to talk to her manager first. The manager was actually just around talking to somebody but when she heard me, she readily stepped in to negotiate. To be fair, I wasn't forced to buy the products but I learned that the damages will be charged to the saleslady's salary. Hay ambot! That's when my soft heart crashed when I saw this lady looking so glum and about to cry. I thought to myself just how much she was earning in this store etc etc etc...

I ended up buying 2 or 3 products out of 5 or 6 really damaged items as I just felt sorry for her. In return, she was so grateful that I helped in the expense and she gave me the free items they were giving out to customers who buy their products reaching a certain enormous amount. It was good that it was cheap but I have a "cheaper" heart for this thing. BUT I got a tote bag and a thick cute diary for free!!!

So this was my day... accidents happen.

And by the way, my brother returned my call and was ready to send me a lawyer to help me out since he was still in Bacolod at that time. I told him I already settled it - baw, bongga gid tani ba! Hahaha!!!

No comments: